Tuesday, January 28, 2014

BW Student Qualifies for World Irish Dance Championship

BW English major, Alyssa Reichert '16, is entering the New Year with an impressive accomplishment. Reichert qualified to compete in the World Irish Dancing Championships in London this April.

"This has been my dream for so many years," Reichert said. To realize this dream, she had to follow a strict schedule balancing her life as a student and an award-winning dancer. Reichert practices everyday whether it be dancing in her dorm room; hitting the gym for cardio and weight-training; taking private lessons; or teaching others.

Held at the Hilton Metropole London, the international event brings together dancers; their families and friends; and enthusiasts from across the globe. About 20,000 people are expected to attend, with organizers promising “an extravaganza, presenting all that is best in Irish Dancing.”

Now that the competition is only a few months away, Reichert is able to reflect upon her achievement. "When I learned I had qualified, I was in disbelief and cried my heart out. This was my dream. This was the moment I had imagined while I practiced, that had told me to keep going. Nothing compares to being in that moment."